Sunday, October 4, 2009

Darn Print Revolution!

This week’s reading was quite, well, different. Trithemius’s idealistic approach really captured my attention. I was actually sort of fond of it. It’s a very powerful tactic to use a Holy entity as an incentive to coerce others into sharing similar beliefs. Of course I wasn’t at all convinced, in fact I thought it was nonsense, but I certainly can see how people during that time were swayed by it. However, the discussion in class stimulated more enlightenment to the context of Trithemius’ treatise, for example the idea of spending every moment of the day hand-copying. It sounds more like torment than anything else. Nonetheless, Trithemius’s motive (the introduction of “supposedly superior technology”) provoked another thought that is in relation to the superiority of technology but more so pertains to…well, now.

My mom and I made a much needed trip to the almighty Meijers today. I really wanted to go to Meijers because I had to return a DVD I had rented. Yup, I said I had to return a DVD I had rented at Meijers. The invention, and must I add, brilliant invention, of DVD kiosks makes it possible for movie buffs, such as myself, to rent DVDs from locations other than video stores. Did I mention how much cheaper it is to rent at these kiosks?? Well, my mom made a comment of how some of these “practical” inventions, or shall I say discoveries, are so revolutionary that now her generation, or the period in which she grew up, is seen as prehistoric (I must mention that my mom is a dazzling 57). I thought it was pretty funny.

There is always hype about the advancement of technology and there is always a discovery of ways to create a more comfortable or “practical” way of living. Landlines are slowly making its way on the prehistoric list right under typewriters, television antennas, and in most households, VHS tapes and VCRs, cassette tapes, and………maybe books :-O (nooooo)! My mom is still in awe of how television watchers were forced to turn in their antennas. I mean it is mind boggling but come on…we kind of seen that coming. Anywho, I’m sure there are many enjoyers that would love to muster up a treatise in regards to any of the items on the prehistoric list, but truth is we don’t have time, we’re too busy fumbling around with TiVo or trying to figure out how to add a Facebook app to this “new and improved” touch screen cell phone. Plus, what would be the purpose? At this point we’re pretty certain that there will always be hype about the advancement of technology and there will always be a discovery to create more comfort or a more “practical” way of living.

2 comments:

  1. I am inclined to agree with you that although I found the argument put forth by Trimethius ridiculous, I can easily see how the monks of that day and age would be convinced. However, as I mentioned in my blog, I think that even though Trimethius may have been able to control the actions of the monks, I am not convinced that he was able to persuade their thoughts to be as Holy and clean as their actions (copying scriptures) may have indicated. I guess intimidation and the fear of being damned can only go so far in controlling the actions of a group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During that period, there did not seem to be a lot of individuality. It seemed simple to be a superior being who effortlessly attained so much power and control over a multitude of people. To read that copying was a Holy act was beyond me. When I was younger, my mother would have me write sentences such as "I will not lie about finishing my homework and will show it to mommy to check it" as punishment. So, yes, that was quite interesting. The technology today is even more interesting. I hear that they're coming out with a touch screen lap top. Pretty soon we'll be going to school and work like The Jeffersons.

    ReplyDelete